This, my dear readers, is The Anime.
Originally created by the writer Ooba Tsugumi (大場つぐみ) and the manga artist Obata Takeshi (小畑健), this mystery/thriller anime was aired in Japan between October 2006 and June 2007. While in manga version, it is one of the top best selling manga series of all time from Shounen Jump, with a total of 26.5 million copies.
But what plot could lead to a huge success like this?
Yagami Light, main character of the series, is an intelligent student, who is bored in his life, and angry at the stupid society that surrounds him. Everyday feels like a repetition of the previous one, a rotten world full of good-for-nothing people that don’t deserve the privilege of even being alive.
Criminals, murderers, thieves, people that make the world become a dirty place. And a large quantity of these people are not properly punished, which makes the world be the same everyday, or even worse.
This is how Light always thought. Until something changed his life.
One day, at school, he sees a black notebook falling from the sky. When he goes to pick it up, he finds out that it has nothing written on it, except five “rules”:
– The human whose name is written in this notebook shall die.
– This notebook will not take effect unless the writer has the subject’s face in his mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.
– If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the person’s name, it will happen.
– If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.
– After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.
At first, an intelligent and well-cultivated person like Light didn’t believe in it, but his desire to change the world and erase the filthy people that inhabited it was so enormous that he ended up taking the notebook with him.
After testing it a few times, he understood the veracity of it, and started his plan to create a new world where he would be God.
He is later visited by the Shinigami (Death God) Ryuk, former owner of the notebook, who dropped it on Earth.
Of course things couldn’t go so smooth as Kira (name for which Light would be known – Japanese pronunciation of the word killer) would initially think, because the world famous detective “L” is always watching from the dark…
Discover more about this superb series by watching its 37 episodes! I guarantee to you that you will be sticked to the screen!
Meanwhile, have a look at the first episode in the video below! Enjoy!